birding-aus

Uniform Swiftlet at Newell Beach Qld

Subject: Uniform Swiftlet at Newell Beach Qld
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:42:04 +0800

Just got back to Perth...

I was at Newell Beach north of Mossman this morning looking for Barn Swallow and Red-rumped Swallow. Barbara Harvey from Sydney was with me.

We were on Andrews Street not far from the water tower. I was stopped while checking on three swallows on the wires (Welcome) when I saw a single swiftlet. I assumed that it was an Australian Swiftlet. Looking out the driver's window I could not see a pale rump as it passed by, and I had seen the full back and thought that I should have seen the rump. I got out of the car, and saw it flying around for about 1 to 2 minutes. I saw the back clearly on about 8 or more occasions and it definitely was an all dark swiftlet. It was flying above the houses, as low as twice house height and several times within 50 metres of me.

Unfortunately the light rain increased and I retreated to the car and then there was a downpour for about 50 minutes. As the rain eased the number of swiftlets increased. Those that I could see all had pale rumps. We looked around Newell Beach for another hour. More than 100 swiftlets passed by (all heading in the direction of Mossman). I saw about 1/4 to 1/3 of the rumps and they were all Australian Swiftlets. Whenever I could see the backs I clearly saw the pale rump even up to 200 metres or more. They were flying higher after the rain. I could not find the all dark swiftlet again.

Just lucky to be in the right place at the right time, with a lone swiftlet that preferred flying low, and flew back and forth along Andrews Street a few times.

I rang Mike Carter soon after I got back into the car from the rain after first seeing the bird. His comment was that although there are about four all dark swiftlet species, realistically it was almost certainly a Uniform Swiftlet. Probably not a good enough argument for BARC!!! But I will make a submission to that extent so that it is documented.

PS : I did not find any Barn or Red-rumped Swallows. There were a scattering of Welcome Swallows around Newell Beach, and lots of Tree Martins at Newell Beach and along Somerset Drive.