birding-aus

Social Media for birders.

To: Baus <>
Subject: Social Media for birders.
From: Gunnar Engblom <>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:09:40 -0500
Hi all

Just finished reading through the message on phones for birders. Thanks for
the great overview. This is a great example how useful it is to be connected
with other birders. I need to get an iPhone. I have a Blackberry Bold right
now.

Anyway, wanted to announce a workshop about social media for birders I am
holding on my blog. I am not pretending that I know everything on the
subject, I still have lots to learn, but the recent experiment that Laurie
Knight mentiioned, with using the social media platforms to promote a new
area benefiting the communities of Manu and Central Peru, was partially very
successful, but partially could have been better. It came down to that there
are relatively few birders that fully grasp the potential of social
media....in spite what we have already learnt from using listservers such as
Birding-Aus.

Think about this provoking comment for a while:

"Every birder should have 5000 birder friends on Facebook!"

Think a little bit more............................

It means, that you obviously don't know every single one of those 5000, but
just as with Birding-Aus it becomes a source of information whenever you
want to learn something about a gadget such as an iPhone...or if you need
advice for a birding trip,...or if you need ID of a sunbird you photographed
while in Africa. Having 5000 birder friends worldwide...could really make
your day!

Facebook is not the only platform,.. of course...and this is what we shall
explore on the workshop.
I don't think I get 5000 birders taking part, but 1000 birders would still
be quite an important number and this is my set goal.

http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com/birdingperu/blog/index.php/31-day-social-media-workshop-for-birders/

Lastly, just making sure noone gets this wrongly.

   - This is NOT an attempt to advertise!
   - The workshop does not cost anything. That is right! 100% free. In fact
   the workshop is inspired by a blogging on-line course by Australian
   Problogger Darren Rowse that I took last March. Also 100% free.
   - 3-4 posts a week for a total of 31 posts. (thus 2 months in length)
   with start on Jan 10.
   - I am not selling any birding tours - or even hinting to do so on the
   workshop posts.
   - If you subscribe you will only get notice of the workshop posts and
   additional information or tasks to fulfil..so best to sign up for the
   emails. If you don't sign up and rely on hitting the web-page whenever there
   may be a new post, you may also get exposed to my regular blogposts about
   birding - some of them about tours.

Last but not least.....

Is this is suitable topic to raise on a listserver?  Do you feel there is a
difference me sending this message or if Laurie Knight - or Alan McBride
(who won one of the free trips btw) had sent a note instead?

Hoping everyone down-under will have a fanastic New Year 2010.

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Engblom-Lima, Peru.
Follow me on www.twitter.com/kolibrix