birding-aus

Re:The perfect phone for a birder?

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Re:The perfect phone for a birder?
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 07:07:04 +1100
Selective Availability - the system that gave civilians a degraded GPS
compared to the military - was turned off in 2000. Wikipedia (of course) has
a pretty good article on GPS describing the various sources of error and
what can be done to improve accuracy.
But as you say 10m is pretty good for most birding locations - unless you
are trying to pinpoint a specific tree in a dense forest, in which case GPS
will probably not be getting signals anyway so will be useless!