birding-aus

The Alpine Kookaburra

To: <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: The Alpine Kookaburra
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:25:17 +1100
John,

I don't actually know if your last sentence is in humour or not.  A
curious and unclear newspaper report that is a summary of something
larger, so it is not unusual to be unclear. However it is described as
"alpine kookaburra", not "Alpine Kookaburra", so the description is
adjectival and not intending to be a formal name and so has no status as
though it is a species name. (And I wonder how correct that assertion is
anyway.) It is just referring to kookaburras that live at high
altitudes. Although all the names given in the report are in all lower
case so my logic does not carry through, because the writer /editor
cares little for being clear as to their meaning. Not to mention the
curious animal called a "ratcrashed" with broad teeth (and yes I know
what it should be).

Philip