birding-aus

Re: Broad-billed Sandpiper & probable Little Stint at Lake McLarty near

To: Birding-Aus <>, Birds WA E-Mail List <>
Subject: Re: Broad-billed Sandpiper & probable Little Stint at Lake McLarty near Mandurah, WA‏
From: John Graff <>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:19:32 +0800
Should say "while most of the Sharpies were on the west side"

Also, the Pec(s), Black-tailed Godwits and Marsh Sandpipers were also mostly on
the west side

Hi all,

Following on from Mark Stanley's report of Yellow Wagtail and Ruff, a number of
birders (15!), including me, descended on Lake McLarty yesterday (Sunday).
Neither the wagtail nor the Ruff were relocated as far as I know. However, the
Little Curlew is still present and a Broad-billed Sandpiper was also found. Two
people (Alan Collins and Mark Newman) also saw a probable Little Stint in
breeding plumage (note that there is also at least one Red-necked Stint in
breeding plumage at the lake). Alan is very experienced in terms of wader ID,
so he is probably right, however he isn't happy to call it for certain without
more confirmation. I didn't see it, but well worth keeping an eye out if you're
heading down there. There are also a number of other 'uncommon' waders around,
including at least 20 Long-toed Stints, so it's well worth a visit. Most of the
stints are on the eastern side of the lake, along with the Broad-billed
Sandpiper and the Little Curlew, while most of the Sharpies

I walked all the way around the lake. Sightings of interest included;
Chestnut Teal (1)
Glossy Ibis (4)

Pacific Golden Plover (1)
Black-winged Stilt (2500+)
Red-necked Avocet (~2500)
Banded Stilt (1)
LITTLE CURLEW (1)
Black-tailed Godwit (5)
Common Greenshank (40+)
Marsh Sandpiper (15+)
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (1000+)
Pectoral Sandpiper (1+)
Curlew Sandpiper (15+)
Red-necked Stint (500+)
Long-toed Stint (20+)
BROAD-BILLED SANDPIPER (1)
Red-capped Plover (50+)
Whiskered Tern (25+, left the lake early in the day, seemed to head for Peel
Inlet)
Birders (15, high count)

Apologies for the slight delay in the update, I thought some of the other
people at the lake might send an update.

Cheers,
John