birding-aus

Needletails

Subject: Needletails
From: peter crow <>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 14:32:13 +1000
This morning, Sunday 20th Dec, about 7am EST at Carindale, an eastern Brisbane suburb beside the Gateway Bridge Motorway, we saw over 500 Needle-tails flying about moderately high - feeding I think. Unfortunately we had no binoculars but the birds were easily identified without them.

I didn't see  any fork-tailed swifts.

They were too numerous and too active to count accurately but I did a couple of counts of that part of the flock which was more spread out and each time got to about sixty before becoming confused by others intruding into the area. These two small groups made up far less than 10% of the total. This is the largest flock I've seen.

The weather was overcast with storms forecast for later in the day. A storm did arrive about midday.

Peter