birding-aus

Taiwan trip

To: "" <>
Subject: Taiwan trip
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:49:23 +1100
We are just about to fly home from a very successful trip to Taiwan.

In ten days of not all that intense bird watching we have seen over 120 spp (57 new for me), and 12 out of 15 endemics.

I would recommend Taiwan to anyone as a fascinating and easy place to bitdwatch. It's easy to get around, there are places to stay and the people are willing to do anything for idiotic, gesturing foreigners who don't speak Chinese.

Best birds were Taiwan Whistling thrush and Taiwan Blue Magpie (so cute). Most unaccoutable bird was a Blue Rockthrush (male), hanging around a women's toilet in one town. Most unexpected bird was a Brown Hawkowl seen in urban Taipei sitting on a tree at edge of a community exercise area.

Any queries about Taiwan can be directed at me. I also have a copy of Birding in Taiwan (out of print) which arrived the day before we left; I am now willing to lend this useful volume who might be heading to Taiwan.

Cheers

John Leonard

Sent from my iPod