birding-aus

Yellow Wagtail - Katherine NT

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Yellow Wagtail - Katherine NT
From: "Andrew Bell" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:50:21 +0930
One non breeding Yellow Wagtail at the Katherine sewerage ponds this
afternoon,  seen briefly and photographed from a distance in the rain, and
then lost as the sky really opened up. The only previous record I can find
of a Yellow Wag in Katherine was by  Mike Reed in 1999 at the same site.

The  lone Black Tailed Native Hen first seen at the ponds a couple of weeks
ago  is still present, but most of the waders have dispersed - we have at
last had our first real rain for the season over the weekend and  there's
now plenty of other water about. I do wonder however how many of the waders
that arrive in Katherine  end up feeding the very large number of freshwater
crocodiles that lurk near the edges of the ponds.

cheers

Andrew Bell
Katherine NT