birding-aus

Pronouncing latin names of Parrots correctly

To: Dave Torr <>, Terry Bishop <>
Subject: Pronouncing latin names of Parrots correctly
From: Helen Larson <>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 06:27:24 +0000 (GMT)
And don't forget that scientific names are not all Latin - but they are always
"Latinised". Many names are Greek-derived or taken from other languages. An
example - just think of the generic name for the darter - Anhinga is a
Brazilian Indian name for the bird. One of my favourites is the Arabic
Abudefduf, the genus of the sergeant major damselfish (Aboo-deff-duff).
Hypsypops  isn't bad either (hip-see-pops), a bright orange damselfish.
So we are pronouncing Latinised words that are often made up of several words
stuck together to make a descriptive name for the bird or fish or flower. As
student I learned scientific nomenclature among Americans and had to adapt my
pronunciation to suit Australian-English speakers. And sorry for the two fish
examples, I can think of fish genera much faster than birds.
As long as you make a decent stab at the name and think Latin-ish (the root of
all the romance languages) you should be able to communicate.
     Helen