birding-aus

Christmas & Cocos Update

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Christmas & Cocos Update
From: Richard Baxter <>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 22:46:57 -0800 (PST)
Hello Birders,
                   We are now 8 days into our 12 day birding trip to Christmas
Island and the Cocos-keeling islands.  So far, we have had a spectacular weeks
birding with a record number of rarities seen.

During our week on Cocos we saw 2 x Common Moorhen, several Pin-tailed Snipe, 3
x Grey Wagtail, Saunder's Terns and Western Reef Egret and on our final day we
had good views of Javan Pond Heron.

After three days on CI, we've seen 2 x Asian House Martin, 1 x Red-Collared
Dove, 19 x Grey Wagtail, 3x Yellow Wagtails and 1 x Asian Koel.  The most
frustrating sighting was early on Sunday morning when Nigel Harland and I
located a Schrenk's/Cinnamon type bittern sitting on top of the phosphate
loader at Flying Fish Cove.  After walking around a building to get closer, it
was gone.  We searched all day with no result.

I'll post a full trip report after arriving home next week.  I'll be running
the same trip again in Nov/Dec 2010 and another from the 1-8th March 2010.
There are plenty of vacancies on both.

Got to rush, we're going swimming with Whale Sharks this afternoon.

Cheers
Richard Baxter