birding-aus

Re: Tawny Frogmouth enquiry.

To: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Subject: Re: Tawny Frogmouth enquiry.
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:43:51 +1100
G'day Richard, Ollie & All

Working from my current study on Papuan & Tawny Frogmouths I think I can make some suggestions.

Tawny Frogmouths will relay in the same nest in the same season if they loose eggs or young. Sometimes they change trees but not always.

Sometimes hatched and predated egg shells appear on the ground below but sometimes there is no sign at all that they have been predated or hatched. (parents possible eat the shells) I have been watching 12 nests this year - same as last year.

IF you watch for the first hour after sunset you should learn something. Sit where you can see a silhouette of the nest and sitting bird - usually against the set sun ie W sky. If there are young the male will leave early- sometimes even before the female arrives. They usually feed nestlings 5-15 times in the first hour, and you should see this. If the eggs are there the male will usually sit until the female arrives (often an hour after sunset) and you will just see a change over.

I have only experience one set of infertile eggs and the male continued to incubate for about one to two weeks from memory then abandoned them. So that is a small sample size.

Could I encourage you to have a look in the next night or two then let us know - we should all learn something. It would certainly increase my sample size if you do.

Cheers & happy watching

Mike
Michael Tarburton