birding-aus

black breasted buzzard nest predation?

To: birding aus <>
Subject: black breasted buzzard nest predation?
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 21:28:57 +1030
On the way back from Derby today I saw two of these birds on a nest-one was
standing partly obscuring the other which due to this probably appeared to
be sitting on the nest.  The nest was much smaller than I expected for black
breasted buzzards and it was in a dead tree without leaves(unfortunately we
have a lot of these sort of trees due to the fires which are lit
constantly).  I had assumed that one bird was sitting on eggs attended by
the other.  They both then flew together and as they did a Crow chased after
them.  The nest was smaller than expected and my guess was that the buzzards
had been eating eggs or chicks of the crow.

Gary