birding-aus

Black-tailed Native Hens dispersing north too

Subject: Black-tailed Native Hens dispersing north too
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:11:58 +1100
Last week on a brief visit to Keep River National Park in the NW NT
among the more usual birds on Cockatoo Lagoon behind Park HQ was a single
Black-tailed Native Hen.

New for the park list (HANZAB range map agrees) and  rare in the top
end I believe - certainly I've never seen one there. But not surprising
given their irruptive habits.

On the same  trip I stayed near Wyndham at Parry Creek Farm
(http://www.parrycreekfarm.com.au/). Some carelessness left me laid up
so I did zero birding there but it looks a good accomodation option for
birders - a bit of comfort surrounded by birds.  I suspect you'd turn
up a decent list in the immediate vicinity - e.g. I was told there was
a Black-breasted Buzzard around and Gouldian Finches were nesting nearby.

Andrew