birding-aus

Black-necked (Satin) Stork genetics

To: "'Greg & Val Clancy'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Black-necked (Satin) Stork genetics
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:23:19 +1100
G'day Greg,

People should look into the genetics by all means, but I am still trying to
find visible differences between the two populations.
The green sheen verses blue sheen on the neck thingy doesn't work for me, so
how else are they supposed to physically differ.
The two populations are physically separated but so are those of
Azure-winged Magpie and many other species.
I suspect during periods of lower sea levels these two populations would
have been strongly connected.

Cheers Jeff.