birding-aus

The Peruvian Thick-knee

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: The Peruvian Thick-knee
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:19:54 +1000
There is periodic discussion of overseas field guides in this forum. The good news is that there is a mass of high quality, reasonably priced guides hitting the market, and there are a range of vendors available.

I received my copy of the Princeton Field Guides 2007 edition of the "Birds of Peru" this morning. It is a 656 page hardback guide covering ~ 1800 species. It has 304 plates and weighs 1.4 kg. I had a $10 discount offer from Fishpond [you can navigate to the website from the Birding-Aus page] and so ordered the book for $45 (delivered) nine days ago. I expect that Amazon would have delivered the book for a similar price.

Left-wing birders will be pleased to know that Burhinus superciliaris is titled "Peruvian Thick-knee". Pluvialis squatarola is titled "Black-bellied Plover" [we know it as the Grey Plover].

It is interesting to see a number of similarities between the birds of Borneo and Peru (e.g. woodpeckers, piculets, barbets and trogons).

Following on from other threads, it is also interesting to look at some of the English group names [following the swifts] -

Hummingbirds
Hermits
Violetears
Emeralds
Sapphires
Brilliants
Sunbeams
Starfrontlets
Sunangels
Pufflegs
Metaltails
Thornbills
Woodstars
Trogons
Motmots
Kingfishers
Jacamars
Puffbirds
Nunbirds
Nunlets
Barbets
Aracaris
Toucanets
Toucans
Piculets
Woodpeckers
Woodcreepers
Scythebills
Miners
Earthcreepers
Cinclodes
Tit-spinetails
Thistletails
Spinetails
Canasteros
Foliage-gleaners
Treehunters
Leaftossers
Xenops
Horeros
Antshrikes
Antveros
Antwrens
Antbirds
Antthrushes
Antpittas
Gnateaters
Tapaculos
Tryannulets
Bristle-tyrants
Flycatchers
Elaenias
Tit-tyrants
Pygmy-tyrants
Tody-tyrants
Tody-flycatchers
Flatbills
Spadebills
Peewees
Wood-peewees
Ground-tyrants
Shrike-tyrants
Bush-tyrants
Chat-tyrants
Kingbirds
Becards
Attilas
Tityras
Pihas
Cotingas
Fruiteaters
Schiffornis[es?]
Manakins
Tyrant-manakins
Greenlets
Jays
Wrens
Wood-wrens
Gnatcatchers
Gnatwrens
Solitaires
Thrushes
Tanagers
Hemispinguses
Bush-tanagers
Mountain-tanagers
Dacnis[es?]
Honeycreepers
Conebills
Flowerpiercers
Sparrows
Finches
Inca-finches
Sierra-finches
Seedeaters
Warbling-finches
Yellow-finches
Seed-finches
Brush-finches
Grosbeaks
Soltators
Warblers
Redstarts
Oropendolas
Caciques
Siskins
Euphonias

Name of the list possibly has to be awarded to the Andean Cock-of-the- rock.

Regards, Laurie.