birding-aus

Visit to Kinglake NP 9 months after the fires.

To: Chris <>
Subject: Visit to Kinglake NP 9 months after the fires.
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:21:08 +1100
G'day Chris

Chris asked "I read soon after the fires that the helmeted honeyeater might have been burnt to extinction in areas. Can anyone update me on the status of this species?"

Yes I also thought that the Helmeted Hon may have lost all its territory - my swift watching bush in the park has all gone. However, on Sunday I with a dozen other volunteers went to help DSE look for them on the southern edge of Bunyip SF. We were told that only one established pair had been impacted by the fires. Part of their territory was burnt and on Sunday we found birds on each side of their original territory so that looks encouraging. They appear to have survived the competition of what may have been many extra mouths in their territories all wanting food.

Cheers

Mike
Michael Tarburton