birding-aus

FWD: Falcon ID question

To: birding birding-aus <>
Subject: FWD: Falcon ID question
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:42:31 +1100
From: Jennifer Smith <>
Date: 25 November 2009 6:47:03 PM
Subject: FW: ? Peregrine Falcon? or Hobby? or Kestrel?

Hi,

Is this the place to ask an identification question? Please? If so,....

This afternoon about an hour ago, I was just taking the dog for a walk around the block in Lawnton, Queensland and disturbed a falcon with a meal of Little Friarbird. My first thought was that it was a peregrine but remembered they have mottling which this one didn't, or not that I could see. The wings and hood were a beautiful smooth pale grey, and rest was a pretty smooth pale rufous. I was looking at it from it's side as it was standing on the ground over its prey. It's yellow eye-ring and cere were very distinctive as it fervently watched me. It seemed really small, about the size of a spotted turtle-dove.

One never has a mobile phone on board, let alone a camera at these times.

Would it have been a peregrine?

Regards,
Jennifer