birding-aus

RFI - Melbourne area

To: "'Brian and Meg Johnson'" <>, <>
Subject: RFI - Melbourne area
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:10:50 +1100
Hi Brian,

Song Thrush: They are found sporadically across parts of Melbourne, however
the easiest place to see them is probably the Royal Botanic Gardens. They
can usually be found foraging under bushes, and will occasionally come out
onto the lawns. I usually find the northern part of the gardens best, but
that could just be me!

European Greenfinch: Try Westgate Park, or Truganina Swamp/Mt St Joseph's
Pond. We rarely fail to see them at either location. I'm sure that there's
other spots, but these two area are pretty good.

Eurasian Skylark: If you wanted to be sure of seeing this species, go to the
Western Treatment Plant. They are everywhere! As you drive along the tracks
they will be flushed left and right. If you couldn't be bothered dealing
with getting into the plant itself, you'd be pretty sure of seeing them
along Point Wilson Road and Beach Road (especially between Point Wilson Road
and Avalon Airport). I know this isn't the inner eastern suburbs!

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria