birding-aus

ASHMORE EXPEDITION 2009

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: ASHMORE EXPEDITION 2009
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:14:19 +1100
Ashmore Expedition 27 October to 3 November 2009; Summary

By Mike Carter, 14 November 2009.

Trip Details.

The 2009 eight-day Broome-Ashmore-Lacepedes-Broome expedition ran from 27
October to 3 November. Logistics and permits were organised by George Swann of
Kimberley Birdwatching. Personnel were Sue Abbotts, John Berggy, Rohan Clarke,
Stewart Ford, Tania Ireton, Brian Johnston, Geoffrey Jones, Elizabeth Lloyd,
Barb Longmuir, Bill Moorhead, Jack Moorhead, Carol Page, Jenny Spry, Dave Torr,
George Swann & Mike Carter. Our boat was the air-conditioned 23 m MV Flying
Fish V skippered by George Greaves. Jacqui fed and nurtured us and Maurice
attended to our other needs. All three drove dinghies when required.

            We sailed from Broome (17º59'S 122º11'E) on 27 October (Day 1) at
06.30 and spent the next two days and nights travelling at sea, arriving off
West Island, Ashmore at 12.53 on 29 October (Day 3). We maintained a NW course
throughout Day 1 but at night changed our heading to NNE. By dawn on Day 2 we
were in 450m deep water and cruising along the continental slope into
increasingly deeper water that reached depths of 1,800 m by mid afternoon. We
approached Scott Reef at dusk and continued past on a NE course. During the
morning of Day 3 we tended to adopt a more northerly course. When west of
Ashmore Reef we headed east passing a naval patrol ship and the Australian
Customs Vessel 'Ashmore Guardian' (with it's complement of DEWHA wardens) as we
passed through the channel entrance.

Our berth for the next three nights (Days 3, 4 & 5) was at the inner mooring
(12º14.33'S 122º58.95'E) just off West Island. Most members of the party went
ashore daily on West Island; each afternoon and early morning of our stay. Our
hosts, Flying Fish Charters, had three dinghies. These were used to affect six
landings on West Island and one each on Middle Island, East Island and a sand
bar (a high-tide wader roost) near there (the later three sites in the company
of DEWHA and/or Aust. Customs wardens). Neap tides limited the time we could
spend ashore on all but West Island, water depth within the lagoon being
inadequate for navigation except at high tide.

After a last visit ashore on West Island, we released our mooring at Ashmore at
08.50 on Day 6 (1 November) and maintained a generally southerly heading
through waters mainly around 500m deep. At dawn on Day 7, we were still in deep
waters on a direct course just east of south for the Lacepedes. By 07.30, we
had crossed onto the continental shelf and from 08.30 we were in increasingly
shallow waters until we anchored off West Island, Lacepedes (16º50.41'S
122º07.00'E) around 19.30 that day. Next morning, Day 8 (3 November), we were
ashore on West Island, Lacepedes, from 05.15 to 08.15. Back aboard and tenders
stowed, we sailed for Broome, berthing at the wharf at 16.45.

Whilst at sea a continuous log of position and faunal observations was recorded
on computer. Sea conditions were benign throughout with rippled seas on a low
swell created by light N breezes. Cloudless skies subjected us to relentless
sunshine. Although hot, it was not unbearably humid.

Oil leak from Montana H1 drilling rig: This rig (12º55'S 124º50"E') is ~200 km
ESE of Ashmore Reef. We saw no unequivocal evidence of the presence of oil,
oiled birds or of damage from the spill. Whilst ashore on both East and Middle
Island, single emaciated Common Noddies with potential light oil contamination
on the mantle were taken into care by DEWHA representatives. As Noddies have
naturally oily feathers it is possible that these were simply dishevelled
individuals that were in the process of dieing of natural causes. At sea we
observed two distinct creamy slicks estimated to be 200-300m long by 10-15m
maximum width (petering out at both ends). These were both on Day 6 with the
first just south of Ashmore and the second at 12º39'S 122º47'E (56 km south of
Ashmore). Close inspection revealed these slicks consisted almost entirely of
short rod-like structures 4-5 mm in length and ~1 mm in diameter. There was no
petroleum-like smell evident. Whether this was a bi-product of the spill
(aggregated petroleum based product and/or dispersant) or a more natural
product is unknown. Apart from Bulwer's Petrels, observations at sea were a
little depauperate compared with other years. Thus we wondered whether the
slick had attracted birds away from our transects as investigators Simon Mustoe
and James Watson, independently observed concentrations of predators,
(seabirds, cetaceans and sea snakes) at the edges of the slick.

Observations

77 species of bird were identified (and a Snipe sp.) including 34 seabirds.

            At-sea sightings included:

Abbott's Booby: 2 circled our boat inquisitively for several minutes on 28 Oct.
and we watched one fishing on 1 Nov. These are the first for any Ashmore cruise
and only the 4th or 5th records for Australian waters away from Christmas
Island.

http://www.pbase.com/image/119348863

Jouanin's Petrel: 1 on 29 Oct. as we approached Ashmore and one after leaving
on 1 Nov.

             Landbird highlights on West Island, Ashmore (all photographed),
were:

Island Monarch: 1 adult each day. This is the fourth Australian record, all at
this site.

Asian Brown Flycatcher: 1 on 29 Oct. This is the fourth Australian record, all
at this site.

Oriental Reed Warbler: Up to 3 daily. http://www.pbase.com/image/119350458

Oriental Cuckoo: 1-3 daily.

Collared Kingfisher: 1 daily, considered to be of Indonesian origin.

Australian Koel: 1 exhausted bird on 31 Oct.

Fork-tailed Swift: 8 over the island & 7 at sea. Notable because 2 or 3,
roosted in a palm tree. At sunset on 31 Oct., one made several attempts to
cling belly-up to the underside of a frond before securing a hold. Then a
second arrived. Next morning, 2, left the tree in the twilight of dawn, quickly
joined by a third.

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike: 2-4 daily. Photographs of one showed unmarked white
underwing coverts indicating the Australian taxon.

Magpie-lark: 2 daily.

Eastern Yellow Wagtail: 2-3 daily on West Island and one on Middle Island on 30
Oct.

Barn Swallow: 2-4 most days.

Tawny Grassbird: 1-2 most days.

The usual local tropical seabirds, Masked, Red-footed & Brown Boobies, Great &
Lesser Frigatebirds, Common & Black Noddies, Bridled, Sooty, Crested, Lesser
Crested, Roseate, Gull-billed (both Australian and Asian taxa) and Little Terns
were seen. The first ten of these had or were nesting on Middle or/& East
Islands. Many species, including Lesser Crested Terns, were also nesting on the
Lacepedes. On West Island, Ashmore, there was only one nestling Red-tailed
Tropicbird when we arrived and this departed overnight on 31 October. This
compares with 8 occupied nests last year. Only one White-tailed Tropicbird was
seen at sea and only one over the Island compared with 2 pairs prospecting
there last year.

Other migrant Seabirds of note included (last years numbers in brackets):
Tahiti Petrels 9 (24), Bulwer's Petrels 64 (29), Streaked Shearwaters 14 (10),
Hutton's Shearwaters 4 (31), Wilson's Storm-Petrels 29 (20), Matsudaira's
Storm-Petrels 9 (50) and Long-tailed Jaeger 1 (3).

            Twenty-four species of shorebird included a Broad-billed Sandpiper
(at a sandbar near East Island) and a Pin-tailed or Swinhoe's Snipe that on the
morning on 30 October flew-in at considerable height and circled West Island,
Ashmore before landing.

Cetaceans were less numerous and diverse than recent trips but the compensation
was good sustained views of at least 2 Fin Whales, a first for an Ashmore
cruise and most aboard, see http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/fin_whale.
Striped Dolphin was also recorded for the first time. Others were Humpback
Whale 7 (12) and Bottle-nosed, Pan-Tropical Spotted, Spinner and Risso's
Dolphins.

            Reptiles included Green, Loggerhead, Australian Flatback Turtles
and various sea-snakes.

Other observations included numerous fish and other critters, particularly by
those that went snorkelling, adding interest to another superb trip.

The 2010 cruise will be from 25 October to 1 November. Persons should register
their interest ASAP with Kimberley Birdwatching or Mike Carter.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136