birding-aus

Re: Arctic Jaeger at Rickett's Point, Melbourne

To: "Paul Hackett" <>, <>
Subject: Re: Arctic Jaeger at Rickett's Point, Melbourne
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:05:33 +1100
Yes Paul, it is an Arctic Jaeger but it is not a juvenile. It is an adult
intermediate morph moulting into non-breeding plumage. Species determined by
large body with small head and pale forehead. Morph determined by pale sides of
the neck contrasting with dark cap. Age indicated by uniformly dark unbarred
underwing. Breeding plumage central tail feathers have already been shed so
moult is proceeding. Thanks for the revealing photos.
I'd be exhausted too if I'd just flown more than halfway around the world
especially if there was a shortage of food in the northern Pacific to build fat
reserves before setting out! I recall that being the favoured reason for the
last big spring Short-tailed Shearwater wreck in eastern Australia.
Congratulations to you, the rescuers, vet and carer. I suspect all it needs is
a good feed.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930