birding-aus

Id ideas - Heron Island sightings

Subject: Id ideas - Heron Island sightings
From: e finley <>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:43:56 -0800 (PST)
Hi all

Ive posted a couple of images below which Id appreciate id assistance with.

The first bird was loosely associating with Black-naped and Crested Terns and
was similar in size/slightly smaller than the adult Black-napeds. I dont have
HANZAB or any detailed tern id reference, but my field guides dont indicate a
subadult plumage like this with dark shoulder and the slightly darker primary
tips. It did also seem a little less upright in stance/bit more horizontal than
the nearby adult Black napeds.

m("N00/4093872819","//www.flickr.com/photos/76252884");">http:

As per caption, to me this bird seems to be a Wandering, but I didnt get a
clear call from it. I did from another bird which was my only definite id of a
Wandering. There seemed to be only 3-4 tattlers on the island and they remained
much less conspicuous than the other waders present.

m("N00/4093869781","//www.flickr.com/photos/76252884");">http:

Appreciate any thoughts. Heron was a fantastic experience despite a list of
under 30 species on the island the most common inhabitants are mostly species I
get limited or no experience of in my normal birding life so it made for a
really fascinating few days. I will post a full list of sightings shortly.

Cheers
Eric