birding-aus

Cape Leveque (Broome) Gouldians

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Cape Leveque (Broome) Gouldians
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:08:07 +1100
Hi all,

Well, I did not see the Gouldians when I went to Cape Leveque, but I did
glimpse some finches as they flew over calling at 0700 – maybe that was
them, but no tick. For anyone thinking of going to the place mentioned in
Gary’s earlier posting the camp ground is called Gambanan (not Manganan) and
the owners, I was told, are Frank and Irene (not Maureen).

As Gary said there have been lots of fires on the cape and the Gambanan
campground has been cleared with matches and a bulldozer, so it is not the
most glamorous campground in WA. Despite this, the toilet and shower block
(3 unisex toilets and 2 unisex showers) is new, spotless, and has electric
lighting. Think carefully if you going during the season though because
these were the only respectable facilities for a very large campground – I
can see a long queue and many crossed legs during the season. In the first
week of Nov. I was the only person there.

The birding was good and I had a camp list of 32 species (without going into
the mangroves) and a further 19 species that I could see on the sand banks
at low tide.

It is also worth staying at the Lombadina campground, about 15 kms south of
Gambanan, because they have cold drinks and ice. They also have shelters
that you can book that are three sided pandanus covered structures with a
cold water (read warm) shower and a table. The beauty of these shelters is
that the fourth side is open to the ocean and a spectacular view. The
birding was terrible but the view and the ability to stand under a shower
and sleep in a shelter after two days of sleeping in the back of a ute was
worth it. Oh, I know I could have slept on the ground at Gambanan too
instead of in the ute but the fire blackened, dirty sand was not really all
that inviting.

Cheers

Jenny