birding-aus

Little Stint at Woorinen VIC 02 November 2009

To: <>, ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Little Stint at Woorinen VIC 02 November 2009
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 20:55:26 +1100
After seeing this on Eremaea on Wednesday morning (though with no details on
whether the bird was still present) I decided to detour my trip to Barham for
work via Woorinen to see if I could pick this up. The assumption that the South
Darinage Lake was what is called North Lake (of course) on Google I headed to
Lake Road on the south side of the lake. Very few birds about with Masked
Lapwing and Silver Gull definite and probably Red-capped Plover way off in the
heat/salt haze. Maybe I had the wrong spot but it was worth the detour.
McDonalds Swamp near Koondrook is full of water and has a ridiculous number of
birds. Highlights included 1 Wood Sandpiper, 1 Glossy Ibis, 1 Spotted Crake, 1
Greenshank, Marsh Sandpipers (after no sightings in about 3 years I get them
twice in a week) plus another squillion Native-hen (they really are everywhere
this year). A scope probably could have yielded many more as many of the ducks
are a long way off.
Cheers,
Peter