birding-aus

Darwin, Little Grebe still present...

To: <>
Subject: Darwin, Little Grebe still present...
From: "Peter Kyne" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:08:28 +0930
Hi Birding Aussers,

Thought I'd send an update from Darwin. The Little Grebe is still at Leanyer
Sewage Ponds (we saw it again this morning), being faithful to the same pond.

In other Darwin news:

While there has been up to 4 Little Ringed Plovers seen at Leanyer since late
August, we couldn't locate any this morning. Which doesn't mean they aren't
there. They are easily overlooked. We saw 1 on Tuesday.

Eastern Yellow Wagtails have generally been scarce at Leanyer (only a handful
of reported sightings). There have been good numbers at Knuckey's Lagoons
(Fiddlers Lane) though. Micha and I counted 15 there last weekend. 6 Australian
Pratincoles remain at that site.

Barn Swallows have been scarce. We have seen a single bird at Leanyer with Tree
Martins on two consecutive days, but we have not seen one since October 12.

The Botanic Gardens Rufous Owls are being very co-operative in the rainforest
section of the gardens, now often perched side by side.

Chestnut Rail is being seen consistently on the boat ramp side of Buffalo Creek
(even in the carpark!).

White-browed Crake is fairly easy to find at Fogg Dam. That location is always
a joy to visit.

Oriental Plovers are still making their regular mid morning visits to
Nightcliff Rocks. 12 were seen yesterday.

Little Curlews are around. Leanyer, the Fogg Dam area and Knuckey's Lagoon
(Snipe Swamp) are all good locations.

There has only been one report of a Snipe (presumed Swinhoe's) this season, and
that was from McMinn's Lagoon. We await the arrival of the Oriental Pratincoles
and hopefully some nice vagrants.

There has been some mention on Birding Aus of access to Leanyer. While Power
and Water are not giving out any more keys at the moment, current permit
holders are still able to access the ponds. We are happy to take any birders.

Cheers, Pete Kyne and Micha Jackson, Darwin, NT