birding-aus

Red-necked Crake etc.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Red-necked Crake etc.
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:27:49 +1000
Good news for us here at Cassowary House in Kuranda, Far North Queensland ( GPS available.....) is that the Red-necked Crakes have at least one and probably several babies. This is quite early and also quite surprising as it's been so dry here for some months, the little bit of rain we got in the week is nowhere near enough yet; the crakes seem to like the wet season proper and Dec-Jan is a peak for breeding here, usually with 3 babies and sometimes a double brood.

The male and female Cassowaries are daily visitors, we still wonder if another breeding attempt might be on the cards, but the male is very wary of the female so probably not.

Noisy Pitta began calling Oct 11, but is still sporadic, we need more rain to spark them up.

White-eared and Pied Monarchs are very vocal, ditto Black-faced, but this year (quite unlike last when they were very noisy) Superb Fruit Dove is virtually silent .

Cicadabird is singing well, the rain forest whistling form of course, and this is a call I've never heard in PNG, where the birds vocalize with a raspy call more like souther Cicadabirds- this whole complex badly needs unravelling to see how many species are hidden therein.

Lesser Sooty Owl (one species or 3 in the Sooty Owl group? Depends how you want to interpret the data....) has been calling a bit but has really ben very quiet for months, just odd vocals from time to time.

Good birding
Phil Gregory
www.cassowary-house.com.au