birding-aus

Re: [SPAM] [Birding-Aus] Australian Painted Snipe in Dubbo

To: Tim Jones <>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] [Birding-Aus] Australian Painted Snipe in Dubbo
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 22:10:45 +1000
Hi Tim,

I believe in the UK a small number of rare birds have died from constant
harassment leading to an inability to feed to recover from a long trip.
This is possibly what Peter is referring to?  Also I hear from various
sources of cases where twitchers (usually identity unknown) have been
observed by landholders to tresspass to look for birds.  This still appears
to be a sadly common occurrence, though as you say, its not fair to tar all
twitchers with that brush as I know many who wouldn't enter a property
without permission.  However those that do give all birders, not just
twitchers, a bad name with the general public.

I will say this though, a recent study by our own Dr Laurie Knight showed
that the more fanatical a twitcher is, the less they care about
conservation.  That's hard data from a fairly broad survey there (I hope
I've paraphrased your work correctly there Laurie, feel free to jump in if
I'm misquoting).

As for earlier questions about collectors, I'd love to hear from someone in
the customs department, but I know for a fact they are still finding living
animals being smuggled, and I have little doubt that the same would go for
dead animals - there are a lot of people for whom collecting skins/specimens
is akin to stamp collecting (or pokemon for the younger people out there
reading this...gotta catch em all).  Look no further than our own official
bodies - out there looking to collect one or several of the newly found
Spotted Quail-Thrush in Far North QLD before they even know if its a new
species or even how many there are in the population...

Back to the point at hand.  I thought the objection was over GPS
co-ordinates being given in an open online forum.  A general location in the
email with an offer of directions offline would be fine I would think, as
suggested by an earlier poster.  At least that means someone wanting to
break the law has to leave evidence in the form of an email if they want the
details.

Regards,
Chris