birding-aus

Brush Turkey invasion ??

To: "'Paul Burcher'" <>, <>
Subject: Brush Turkey invasion ??
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:53:39 +1100
Paul makes an interesting point about potential competition between the
Australian Brush-turkey and Superb Lyrebird in areas of geographical
overlap.

It appears to me that the spread of Lantana in bushland is assisting the
brush-turkey to colonise new areas around the greater Sydney area. The
Lantana provides the Brush-turkeys with shade and visual screening from
conspecifics, as well as food. On the other hand, Superb Lyrebirds favour
open forest floors, in forests with relatively dense understoreys. Invasion
of lyrebird habitat areas by Lantana would make them less suitable for
Superb Lyrebirds but potentially more suitable for Australian Brush-turkeys.
So I think Paul's concern about the potential of brush-turkeys displacing
lyrebirds in some forest/urban interface areas is a real one.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW