birding-aus

Rare bird alert - follow up

To: "birds" <>
Subject: Rare bird alert - follow up
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:51:43 +1000
Hi all

Just want to make something clear that I thought I had
clarified... I have no problem with email lists such as Birding
Aus. They are subscribed to and managed very effectively and
serve an very useful purpose. It's disappointing that I know so
many birders use the archives and never actually contribute but
that is no fault of the list or it's purpose. It's perfect and I
am always impressed by the information provided, discussed and
debated.

I have some personal concerns regarding the current 'rarity' type
lists regarding confusing standards as to what is considered a
rarity and what isn't and, in some cases apparently, the delay in
the information getting 'out'. Whether it is a local rarity or a
national alert there does seem to be some lack of understanding
between the contributors and the management, in some cases, as to
what constitutes what.
However, having said that, one can regard such lists as excellent
record keeping facilities for, as was pointed out, research etc.

What we are talking about here, I think, is an immediate
communication tool - for example txting via mobile phone or
paging. My argument, if I can call it that, was that there is not
enough happening to support the cost of a pager service, Telstra
avail or not. (I know Orange carry a paging service as I use one
for work every few weeks, but I don't think the expense is
justifiable.)
So.... setting up a network of birders interested in getting
information of a standard that is agreed to is what I believe we
are talking about. There are a number of issues to consider - for
example I don't really need to know that a Banded Lapwing has
been seen in Broome (to plagiarize Chris's example!) but
obviously if I lived in Broome I would! The recent OP is a
similar example - 'Yawn' in Northern Qld or Broome, excitement
here in Brisbane.
So would it be a state based interest? and how would it work?
Would you need a moderator as a first contact? and then who would
pay for the txt messages? My vision would be that I would txt A,
B and C and they would each txt EFG, HIJ, KLM etc. At 30 cents
(approx) per txt, 90cents to alert three birders is what I
consider a bargain - especially if I am going to get txts in
return when something turns up.
I guess there's the problem of me receiving a txt and not
thinking it worthy of passing on - hence the agreed standard.
There will probably be birders who, for one reason or another,
don't use mobile phones... OK, maybe we have to make a landline
call.

The hardest part will be agreeing as to what is notifiable and
what isn't....

Colin
--
  Colin Reid