birding-aus

Scaly-breasted Lorikeets in Mount Eliza

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Scaly-breasted Lorikeets in Mount Eliza
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:52:26 +1030
Hi Stuart

I emailed you just as you were about to start your work on the Hooded
Parrots.  I had just been for a 3 week walk in Arnhem land from  Manyallaluk
towards the Katherine River and I commented to you about the large number of
termite mounds that had what appeared to be nesting holes for Hooded
Parrots, but we only saw Hooded Parrots once on the drive back to
Manyallaluk from the end of the walk.  I wondered what the reason was for
this.  You stated you didn't know but may know more at the end of your
research.   Any thoughts?   Are there a lot more nesting holes than birds?
I was there in July and there was about fifty(very rough estimate) Hooded
Parrots in flock, so were they all going to scatter back to these hollows
for breeding?

Gary