birding-aus

Chiggers

To: <>
Subject: Chiggers
From: "Lisa & Dominic" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:58:46 +1000
Whilst sitting here scratching my Chigger bites and perusing last week's
birding aus postings I was very interested to follow the discussion on Chiggers.

While prevention is better than cure, as a cure I have been using a product
recommended to be by Dr Robert McKay called CALMOSEPTINE. This is actually
intended for nappy rash but does have similar soothing properties.

Last week in Tari in New Guinea I received a mild attack of Chiggers, which
could be described as like invisible mosquitoes on steroids.

On another trip last month to Madang I ended up with a more serious attack at
the Ohu Butterfly Sanctuary, with my feet ending up looking exactly like
Gunnar's photo. Unbelievably itchy, but it was all worth it to watch the Lesser
Birds of Paradise displaying. We also all ended up with varying degrees of itch
up at the otherwise sensational Keki lodge.

They are also common down at Kiunga. One of the local guides told me a story of
a birding group that came out from England. On day 4 of their tour, at Kiunga,
the main guide was so severely 'Chiggered' that he had had to go back to
England, leaving the rest of the group to guide themselves for a month.

Best to avoid them really.

Dom