birding-aus

North Keeling birding trip 2 Dec 2009 Vacancy

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: North Keeling birding trip 2 Dec 2009 Vacancy
From: Richard Baxter <>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 00:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,            On the 2nd Dec 2009 I've chartered the RJ Hawke to visit
North Keeling Island. Each year when we visit the island I usually have a
couple of spare places on the boat, which remain free or are taken up by Cocos
locals.
There will be a minimum of two available places on the 2nd, for anyone who
wants to travel independently to the islands.  Over the last five years, North
Keeling has been visited on average just ONCE per year by birders.  The RJ
Hawke is a large ocean going boat, which will depart West Island at 7am and
return about 4pm.  The cost for the day is $200.  This can be paid on the
morning.
The rest of the party will be my birding group visiting Christmas Island and
Cocos-keeling Islands from the 30 Nov to 12 Dec 09.
The ocean crossing is 24km and Nth Keeling is one of the most world's most
inaccessible and pristine islands.  All visitors are briefed, clothing cleaned,
boots washed in antiseptic and escorted by Parks Australia staff.
The bird life is extraordinary and unlike anywhere else in Australia.  High
lights of the ocean crossing can include Matsudaira's Storm Petrel and Bulwer's
Petrel.  Once on the island we walk the interior and parts of the coastline.
 The numbers of seabirds are staggering, with 70,000 Red-footed Boobies alone.
 These are often inquisitive and have in the past landed on equipment we've
been carrying such as tripod legs.
You will enjoy extremely close views of Lesser and Greater Frigatebird
(10,000), Masked Booby, White Tern, Brown Booby, Common Noddy and Sooty Terns.
 Tropicbirds are also plentiful as are the islands endemic ssp of Buff-banded
Rail and occasionally Lesser Noddy.
Pin-tailed Snipe can be difficult to see and a few waders are usually found
around the islands internal lagoon.  There is also a chance of finding a rare
vagrant on the island.
The one day North Keeling excursion is not run at a profit and is also weather
dependant.  Early Dec traditionally has the best weather/sea conditions for
visiting the island.
For any enquires contact me directly.
CheersRichard Baxter