birding-aus

FNQ IDs

To: "Jeff Davies" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: FNQ IDs
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:03:11 +1100
Thanks Jeff

Size was probably right for Grey Shrike-thrush.

It's interesting how photographs of the same species can differ markedly.
There's obviously a lot of variation in some species but photography can
emphasise (or de-emphasise) features.

Regards

David

             "Jeff Davies"
             <
             com.au>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  <>,
             birding-aus-bounc         "'birding aus'"
                       <>
                                                                        cc

             16/10/09 04:28 PM                                     Subject
                                       RE: [Birding-Aus] FNQ IDs

G'day David,

For what it's worth because I should have posted a response earlier on, the
Mareeba Wetlands bird looks unexceptionally like a female Grey Shrikethrush
to my eye, all of the plumage characters are there. Grey Thrush can have
some grey showing above the leg area depending on how much the belly
feathers are covering the area. The proportions suggest a larger more long
tailed bird than Little Shrikethrush, and for the same reasons cannot be a
Bowers Shrikethrush which has an even shorter tail than Little and is an
exclusively rainforest inhabitant.

Cheers Jeff Davies.