birding-aus

Gloucester birding, NSW

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Gloucester birding, NSW
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:31:13 +1000
Dear all

Am delighted to report first bird nest in my garden! This may not sound very spectacular but for a 700 sq.m small town block, replanted with natives over 6 years, it's a happy justification for all that hard work. Have a very active pair of White-browed Scrubwrens feeding nestlings close to my back deck. They've built in the base of a large kangaroo paw by the wood fence between me and a neighbour. Use the fence to run along the cross beams to access the nest, or approach via the adjoining grevilleas. I suspected this for some time as they had been unusually active around this area but did not investigate as didn't want to put them off. Now hope to witness the fledging.

As for other avians in the area, they must all be raring young as there is a huge amount of searching for insects and carrying bugs in beaks. The Koels arrived last week and a male has taken up residence again in my neighbour's fig (figs not ripe yet) and I've heard Channel-billed Cuckoos along the Avon river. The Kookaburras are depleting my frog and skink population and have got very cheeky, sitting on my deck rails when I am nearby, Sacred Kingfishers are calling loudly but so far no Dollarbirds in the old gum they usually breed in. Last evening it poured with very welcome rain, which should bring even more action.