birding-aus

Chiggers

To: "Birding_Aus _Server" <>
Subject: Chiggers
From: "Dean Cutten" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 04:39:47 -0500
Tony/Alan/AusBirders,

Yes we have experienced the effects of the tropical mites in the Iron Range
Forest in Aug. 2004. We believe we picked them up while standing talking to
a couple for about 1/2 hour after seeing a small group of Electus Parrots.
My wife had to go to Bamaga Hospital for medication as she is allergic to
mite bites which made her really sick and produced large welts. There are
Chiggers in many areas in the USA and I experienced several attacks over the
13 years we were living in Northern Alabama. Another nasty in the woods
there is Poison Ivy, a low lying creeper. Just brushing against the leaves
will bring up festering sores. Ticks can also be a problem as ~10% of them
can carry diseases like Lyme and Rocky Mountain fever. However, on the whole
it is better walking in the forests here without having to worry about
nasties.

Dean Cutten

Victor Harbor,  SA
Australia