birding-aus

Oriental Plovers

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Oriental Plovers
From: " Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 06:15:28 +1000
I note quite a few sightings reported of Oriental Plover whilst going through
300 Birding-Aus emails.
Jack and I have just returned from an 8000km (3 week) journey around much a
fair slab of arid Australia.
Easily our most spot-lit bird on the trip was Oriental Plover (whilst looking
for a parrot that you no doubt would guess!). We found them (not the parrot) on
tracks and roads in Queensland (especially the Barkly area with Australian
Pratincoles); NT (Plenty Highway...good numbers near Georgina River both at day
and night); and in WA along the Gary Junction Road (one was at our campsite a
few metres from the camp at the 44km east of Jupiter Well site). Most were
checked for white underwings in case of an odd Caspian!
Will post other highlights of the trip shortly.
Cheers,
Bill