birding-aus

Marbled Frogmouth and Lewin's Rail

To: BirdingAus <>, Peter O'Meara <>, <>
Subject: Marbled Frogmouth and Lewin's Rail
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 00:49:12 +0000
Hi Birding Ausers

Went after two of our bogey birds yesterday.  Called in at Samsonvale cemetery
first. Heard a Lewin's Rail calling vigourously in the creek bed to the right
of the cemetry (looking towards the lake).  Very dense undergrowth so no luck
at seeing it.  Heard a Pallid Cuckoo calling in the distance too.

Headed off to Mt Mee to try (yet again) to see the MFs.  Have heard them there
a few times but never got onto them.  Despite the rotten weather and wind in
Brisbane, it was completely still at Mt Mee - a beautiful full moon too.

One was calling not far from the big tree on the Mill Forest Track and another
one was calling further away.  Eventually found the closer one sitting about 30
foot up on a branch above the creek bed.  Lovely views.  We heard them calling
without using playback and they did not respond in any way (either positively
or negatively) to playback.

On a cautionary note, the Frogmouth wasn't the only 'tick' of the night - both
Peter and I picked up an Ixodes holocyclus apiece.  Mine was attached just into
my hairline and Peter's was attached on the back of his thigh.

Kind regards

Judith

Judith Hoyle and Gavin O'Meara
Brisbane  QLD