birding-aus

Barbary Dove

To: "'Peter Marsh'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Barbary Dove
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 16:17:12 +1000
G'day Peter,

I guess my answer to your question is we could accommodate hundreds of
established ferel species in Australia all presenting with "little evidence
of damaging effects" as you describe. But one thing is for certain given
time they will slowly evolve as a better fit to the exotic environment they
find themselves in, some will do it slower than others or just die out, some
will find they are already a good fit and take off like rabbits. There is no
exact time frame for any of this and the experience of a species as an
exotic in one part of the world doesn't necessarily apply elseware, eg.
House Sparrows are finding it hard going in the UK at the moment. There is a
population of Barbary Doves in Los Angeles which is staying put for the
moment, do you suggest we use that as evidence they will never move out of
Adelaide. If Barbary Dove was selectively bred from African Collared Dove
then wild breeding birds under environmental pressure will evolve back to
something similar and have characteristics more suited to Australia actively
selected for, it's anyone's guess how long it would take, but it's a risky
experiment to just sit back and watch played out from the side lines.

Cheers Jeff.