birding-aus

Barbary Dove in Mildura

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Barbary Dove in Mildura
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:32:17 +1000
Since moving to Mildura just over 3 years ago I have been keeping an eye on the
Spotted Turtle-doves around town. They are pretty common in the Riverland (in
SA) to the west and had been reported east of town along the Murray River
(probably around Swan Hill) in the 2nd BA Atlas so I was expecting them to
eventually turn up. I continue to see the occasional single bird in town (at
one spot reasonably regularly) with one turning up in my own yard about a year
ago for a few days.

This afternoon I walked out the back door and heard a Dove calling and could
see it in the tree next door. The call didn't sound quite right and so I had a
closer look (and then raced in side to get binoculars) and confirmed it was a
Barbary Dove (the internet is a wonderful resource). This is almost certainly
the bird I heard calling but couldn't see on the weekend (it didn't quite sound
right) and possibly the bird I saw perched on powerlines about 300m away from
home as I was driving one day.

I am assuming the bird is an aviary escapee, but there is a remote possibility
that it has been blown up here in the recent strong south westerleys (there is
a population in the Adelaide suburbs). I note that Trevor Hampel has seen one
bird in his backyard at Murray Bridge - has anyone seen them further up the
Murray at all?

At this stage I probably won't tick it (though it is now on the C&B list) but
if it continues to be seen around home I might be tempted. I am going to be in
Adelaide next month so I was going to scout through the archives (and put in a
general RFI for a few other things) to check out the known locations so I will
probably be happier counting this plastic tick (this at least seems to be a
self-sustaining population).

Before anyone says anything, I am happy for you to come trap/shoot it before it
creates another pest species - but I will leave it up to you to get the
permits, licences etc. to dispatch it in an urban area.
Cheers,
Peter

Looking for a new car this winter? Let us help with car news, reviews and more
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org