birding-aus

Brolgas in a SE Melbourne suburb

To: "Mike Carter" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Brolgas in a SE Melbourne suburb
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:12:34 +1000
Historically they were rare in Geelong, with the first registered record in
1824 (Prescott, (1983). After that numbers seriously declined. 3 birds were
recorded at Connewarre in 1946, close to Barwon Heads. They also nested at
Buckley (near Lake Modewarre) in 1939. After that sightings were uncommon but
became more regular. In general the further west you head in Victoria the more
likely you are to see them.

Inka Veltheim (University of Ballarat) is currently doing research on Brolga in
western Victoria - it seems that she may need to extend her study area! There;s
a really good associated website for this research, see:

http://victorianbrolgastudy.com.au/

Aside from that I'm just packing for Iron Range NP. Heading out tomorrow.
Unfortunately I'll miss the Grand Final. (Go Pies... I mean Cats!) For some
reason I always seem to be birding when the game is on. During the Grand Final
last year I was looking at Grey Grasswren in SW Qld. Grand Final weekend is
obviously the best time to go birding.

Cheers,

Tim