birding-aus

Greater Sandplover at Finke

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Greater Sandplover at Finke
From: "Don and Llane" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:03:26 +0930
Yesterday I reported a Greater Sand Plover at the Aputula Aboriginal Community
sewage ponds at Finke which is southeast of Alice Springs and almost exactly at
the Geographic Centre of Australia. Being familiar with GSP I immediately
identified it as such and said "Wow What is a GSP doing here" It wasn't till I
reported it on this forum that someone kindly asked if I had considered
Oriental Plover. I hadn't because I was sure it was a GSP. However I should
have considered an OP because it is easy to make mistakes. And when you report
a most unusual sighting everything should be checked. I sent my pics off last
night to several experts and all agreed the bird was indeed a Greater Sand
Plover.

But how amazing is this. I went down to check the ponds this morning and the
GSP and Sharp Tailed Sandpiper were still there but an Oriental Plover had also
turned up over night. And I was lucky enough for them to walk past each other
and so I got a photograph of them together!! I'll send a shot to anyone
interested. You'll be amazed at how different they are when seen together which
I imagine is very rarely.

Don Hadden