birding-aus

Scarlet Robins & Striated Pardalotes

To: <>
Subject: Scarlet Robins & Striated Pardalotes
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:09:46 +1000
I've just returned to Sydney after 6 days of bird surveys in woodland
remnants between Albury & Tarcutta on the SW slopes and plains of NSW. These
surveys have been conducted once every 3 months since August 2007.

I did not record any Scarlet Robins on this last trip, whereas at the same
time in the previous two years they were observed in quite a few  woodland
remnants. Has anyone noticed the same thing in this region? I don't know if
they are less abundant in the region or they were just hard to detect
because they were nesting. I think it is less likely to be the latter
because I'm sure that I would have encountered at least one Scarlet Robin
attending a nest.

There were a few Striated Pardalotes, but not as numerous as in the previous
2 years. Most sightings were around sediment ponds that have been installed
recently along the sides of the Hume Highway as part of the current highway
upgrade. Most of these ponds were partially filled with water and mud as a
result of runoff of water and sediment from the road surface. At least one
pair of pardalotes had already bred, as evidenced by the presence of a
juvenile fledgling in the company of two adults.

There were no other obvious differences compared with the previous two
years.

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde, NSW