birding-aus

Coral Sea Expedition Update

To: <>
Subject: Coral Sea Expedition Update
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:57:08 +0000
Hi,

The Coral Sea Expedition will run from 4-15th December 2009, visiting the
remote outer reefs, part of the Lihou system.

This is a not for profit conservation research expedition involving a team of
professional scientists and cameramen. We are delighted to be running the
expedition in parallel with an Australian National Maritime Museum expedition
and to support in kind from the Australian Marine Conservation Society and
others. The objectives are to:

gather baseline information using standard and repeatable methods
identify biodiversity values, ecological processes, services and threats using
a systematic analysis methodrecord HD video of the birds, animals and
environment of the regionprovide a valuable public experience and link this to
shore, with messages about the importance of the Coral Sea for all
Australianssupport the collection of community biodiversity information, that
can be used in conservationset the foundations for an annual long-term
community monitoring project
The Coral Sea is truly one of the most amazing and
remotest places left on earth. Join our team of scientists and
cameramen heading to Lihou Reef to explore and document its pristine
environment and breath-taking wildlife. As well as the chance to relax,
snorkel, dive and walk, you'll be in the company of experts doing
important and ground-breaking work. These islands, within Australian
waters, have hardly ever been visited by humans. This is a really
exciting chance to be part of the first community conservation effort
doing research on their ecology and threats.

Limited spaces are still available. If you'd like a space on the expedition,
please contact us directly on

A big part of this expedition is publicity. Be amongst the first to hear about
what we find. Enter your name and email address in the form on this website to
receive updates and further information about our expeditions.

We are also looking for further publicity opportunities and some sponsorship.
To make the most out of this expedition, it is important that the results reach
the public. Access to satellite broadband time is one significant contribution
we are seeking. We are also seeking any avenues for promoting the results,
which will include sigificant contributions to understanding of the threats to
avifauna, from issues such as sea level rise.

Regards,

Simon Mustoe.