birding-aus

sitellas roosting behaviour?

To: birding aus <>
Subject: sitellas roosting behaviour?
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:24:28 +0930
Near Djarindjin on Dampier peninsula near Broome, I saw some behaviour from
sitellas I had never seen before tonight.   A group of six or seven sitellas
came into a tree at about 5 pm.  3 or 4 at a time sat very close together
just like white breasted woodswallows do, but the actual sittellas involved
changed over.  As each new one would come along, the birds would do a loop
around the branch they were sitting on and often the new bird would end up
in the middle of the others.   I didn't stay until dark, but the sun was
very low in the sky.  I have never seen sitellas sit still before (except
once when sitting horizontal along a branch when a raptor went over)  let
alone engage in this behaviour.
Has anyone seen this before?  Is this sitella roosting behaviour?

Gary