birding-aus

Eastlakes, Sydney 10 Sep 2009

Subject: Eastlakes, Sydney 10 Sep 2009
From: e finley <>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:00:13 -0700 (PDT)
A great morning walk between 7 and 0830 today at Eastlakes (8 kms southeast
from Sydney CBD) this morning with nearly all of the species well known for
this site showing themselves nicely. Around the ponds bordering Wentworth Ave
highlights were single Latham’s Snipe, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and a pair of
Black-fronted Dotterels, a single Bar-shouldered Dove (amongst way too many
Spotteds), Fan-tailed and Shining-bronze (calling) Cuckoos, Black-shouldered
Kite, Royal Spoonbill, Little and Great Egret, European Goldfinch, Nutmeg
Mannikin and many Red-browed Firetails (2 x nest-building), Yellow-rumped
Thornbill, a single male Red-rumped Parrot, several pairs of Clamorous Reed
Warblers, a few Golden-headed Cisticolas and Little Grassbirds, and one Tawny
Grassbird. Plenty of Hardhead and Darters present.
Over at the main pond up to 3 Baillon’s Crake were feeding on surface
vegetation in the open, coming to within 3 metres of me and not bothered at all
with my presence. My best views ever of this species over a 30 minute period
and a few nice pics I hope. Also had a flock of 34 Yellow-tailed Black
Cockatoos in melaleucas here, and finally a covey of 4-6 Brown Quail.
This was my most productive visit yet to this site, having dipped on the crakes
and grassbird on all previous visits.
Eric