birding-aus

ground parrots

To: <>
Subject: ground parrots
From: "ninderry" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 12:53:55 +1000
Yesterday I flushed a ground parrot in wallum heath on private land at Noosa
North Shore, at the northern extremity of Queensland's Sunshine Coast. This
locality is close to the tourist mecca of Noosa and well south of what is
regarded as the main stronghold of the species in Queensland - the western
catchment of the Noosa River, especially around Teewah Creek. Searching for
ground parrots at the North Shore site, I had been intermittently walking
through old growth heath and vegetation that had been burned 2-3 years ago;
the parrot was in the latter.

South of North Shore, ground parrots had historically been widespread on the
Sunshine Coast. A handful of small populations are hanging on in the face of
the development of their habitat for real estate.

Greg Roberts