birding-aus

Kyoto trip report

To: <>
Subject: Kyoto trip report
From: "Pat OMalley" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:15:07 +1000
Hi all,

Many thanks to those who responded to my RFI regarding Kyoto. This made for an
enjoyable, if not bird-rich, visit. Also a chance to test-drive Mark Brazil's
Birds of East Asia.

Even though circumstances did not allow a rigorous test, I found Brazil's book
excellent: maps adequate (Japan is rather small on many) , illustrations
particularly clear and a relatively large amount of text that was highly
informative. Also a useful  little letter code (e.g. J for Japan) at the  start
of each entry indicating the countries in which that species is recorded.

I was able to take 2 days to bird several spots in Kyoto, including the
Botanical Gardens, the bird walk at the Westin Miyako Hotel (nice 2km
round-trip walk, few birds), many temple and shrine gardens especially in the
Higashiyama district, plus bush tracks behind a couple, Arashiyama plus various
walks along the rivers, and Nara. Despite this, the species tally was only 23!
I was expecting a low count from the seasonal distribution maps in Brazil - it
looks as though winter is a better birding season (several trip reports support
this idea), at least for this urban area.

I have one query. Little Egrets (E garzetta) were common. But these have bright
yellow feet which they use to stir around in the shallows - like the North
American members. This is rather different in foot coloration and action to the
Australian members. I assume these are distinct subspecies?

Species list:
Japanese (Large Billed) Crow (ssp japonensis)
Carrion Crow
European Tree Sparrow
Oriental Turtle Dove
Rock Dove
Japanese White Eye
Grey Heron
Great Egret
Little Egret
Japanese Grosbeak
Japanese Pigmy Woodpecker
Varied Tit (ssp varius)
Great Cormorant
Pacific Swift
Brown-eared Bulbul (ssp amaurotis)
Common Kingfisher
Eastern Great Tit
Black-eared Kite
Mallard
E. Black-tailed Godwit
Long-tailed Tit (ssp trivirgatus)
Eastern Crowned Warbler
Japanese Wagtail

Despite misleading advice from one who shall remain nameless, no Purple-crowned
Lorikeets.

Cheers
Pat