birding-aus

Riflebirds and Metallic Starlings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Riflebirds and Metallic Starlings
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:38:16 +1000
Greetings,
Saw my first Metallic Starling on the Atherton Tablelands for this season yesterday and had four in the yard this morning.

There is a Riflebird display perch south of the second speed bump as you drive into Lake Barrine. It is very high and about 30m back from the road. the perch is the highest part of the canopy which was trashed by Larry in 2006, is very pale and a little small for an ideal display perch.

The male was displaying yesterday between 0830 and 0930. the one time a female came close he was displaying down to her rather than up in the usual manner. This shows an ability to adapt to the situation.

I did not get a useful picture but will try again next week.

Had fantastic views of Golden Bowerbirds during the week and heard what may have been a distant Channel-bill. It still peeves me that southern Australia get theirs before us!

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road