birding-aus

(Dead) Painted Firetail in Werribee (Vic)

To: "Dave Torr" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: (Dead) Painted Firetail in Werribee (Vic)
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:24:56 +1000
The nearest legitimate records of Painted Finch to Victoria are at the Living
Desert Reserve (31°50"S 141°20"E) near Broken Hill in 2007. There was also the
famous pair that nested at Yanco Creek, 17 miles north of Jerilderie
(35°08'49"S 145°46'22"E) in August last year - and there was a record from
Sturt National Park at the Mt Wood homestead (29°28'49"S 142°14'15"E) in May
2007.

They have also been recorded at The Embankment at Mount Ive Station in South
Australia (32°26'19"S 136°04'09"E), regarded as an isolated population. Birds
of this group have also recorded north of Lake Frome, west of Lake Callabonna,
and near Lake Blanche on the Strzelecki Tk - with the last record as far as I
know being April 2008.

(There is a report of Painted Finches being "often" seen at Piccaninnie Ponds
Conservation Park near Port McDonnell in South Australia, but this is clearly a
error, being Beautiful Firetail.)

Aside from that you have to go north to the Nothern Territory, such the
McDonnell Ranges (i.e. N'Dhala Gorge) and Kings Canyon; or to western
Queensland, such as Cravens Peak Nature Refuge, Bladensberg National Park, or
near Mt Isa such as Lake Moondarra.

So yes, a pretty obvious escapee. That being said, there have been some very
strong winds in Victoria recently, and Diamond Dove seem to be turning up in
odd places . Just yesterday I heard at least 5 Spotted Pardalote on my ride
home from work, a bird that has been almost completely absent from much of
Victoria over most of the year.

But then (as everyone knows) I'm just wishing and hoping for some nice birds to
turn up in sunny windy Victoria.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby