birding-aus

Gang-gang Cockatoos near the city of Melbourne

To: "McGowan, John" <>, "Paul Hackett" <>
Subject: Gang-gang Cockatoos near the city of Melbourne
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:25:15 +1000
Hey John,

In terms of where to see Gang-gangs in and around Melbourne here's a few
sites:

. In "inner Melbourne" sightings are irregular, mostly between October
and April. The most likely place to see them is Yarra Bend however you
could spend 2 or 3 days there and not see them. In nearby Northcote in
summer I usually see small flocks flying overhead every few months.

. In terms of "outer Melbourne" they are regularly seen in places like
Healesville, try Badger Weir Park or Healesville Sanctuary. Also
Blackburn Lake, Diamond Creek trail, Jumping Creek Reserve (Warrandyte
State Park), and Yarra Ranges National Park such as along McMahons
Creek.

. A bit further out (i.e. "Greater Melbourne") Kinglake National Park is
good, as is Toolangi State Forest - but check first with DSE about road
access. Also Yellingbo Nature Conservation Reserve, and have a look for
Helmeted Honeyeater while you're there.

. If I was to "guarantee" you Gang-gangs I'd do the Point Addis Ironbark
Walk (just off the Great Ocean Rd), or Anglesea Heath (particularly
areas with Brown Stringybark and near high Banksia spp) such as the area
along Harvey St which continues as the Acacia Tk.

Cheers and good luck,

Tim Dolby