birding-aus

purple crowned fairy wren and other birds Kimberley

To: birding aus <>
Subject: purple crowned fairy wren and other birds Kimberley
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:07:29 +0930
Hi

I have been off line for many months, since Feb actually, but I finally have
internet connection back!  I have been walking in Kimberley for three months
total in the first half of this year.  the best bird I saw was purple
crowned fairy wren at Jack's waterhole, which is on Gibb River road, where
the Durack river crossed the road.  It is marked on maps.  We had walked
down the Durack from Wyndham and someone else in the part spotted these for
me in pandanus at the waters edge.  Had good prolonged views of two males
and other certainly females, but probably eclipse males(I didn't take notice
as too busy, soaking up the experience)  My only previous sighting had been
of a male at Victoria River crossing in the reeds at teh bridge for about 3
seconds!

At Jack's waterhole there was also square tailed kite.  Square tailed kite
also seen above Emma falls near Emma Gorge resort on  El Questro station.

VARIEGATED  WREN RACE
I saw variegated wrens which fitted neither race dulcis or rogersi.

eye-seen at Casuarina Creek near Berkeley River
WHITE THROATED GERYGONE IMMATURE
Yellow went well above the eye in distinctive way.   this bird seen between
Berkerley river and faraway bay.

White Throated Gerygone – immature bird-doesn’t fit description in Pizzey.
Description from notes taken at the time: completely yellow underneath to
vent from above eye and lores- white subterminal tail band underneath tail.
Black/grey on back. Smaller than Jacky Winter-did not call , spent time of
observation gleaning insects from leaves.

Tawny Frogmouth-flushed many, sometimes from rocks, not only trees. Birds
would flush when observer 10 -20 metres away

Red Chested Button Quail- red/rufous easily seen in flight

Chestnut Backed Button Quail-chestnut on wings towards body and darker
towards

Also saw King Quail and brown quail-spent a lot of time walking through long
grass!  (only three snakes encountered)

Today heard brush cuckoo back in area

Gary